Saturday, March 15, 2014

AGAPE - Relationships - The 3 Vs

Establishing relationships is not always an easy process.  One "a-ha" moment that I have come to over the years when it comes to relationships is that sometime they take a lot of time.  It might be required that one erode the defensive nature of someone with a particularly combative personality.  It might very well also be the case that a positive relationship is established with relative ease.  When it comes to the three Vs of value, vision, and voice I incorporate them into my class in the following ways.  I always make sure that my opinions and thoughts are known to my classes.  I will (very rarely) sugar coat things.  I feel that (again, most of the time) honesty is the best policy.  Students will rarely gain much from deception and dishonesty from figures of authority.  In this way, they learn that my values include honesty, and in the end, their best interests.  In the same sense, I think that it is important that students are able to share their own voice, when appropriate.  I like to lead by asking as many questions as possible.  Students are more likely to follow you down the path of educational enlightenment if they believe that they are a part of the process themselves.  While I know that we will ultimately be lead to a particular mathematical goal, it's necessary that the students are a part of the journey, not just along for the ride.  This also helps to foster positive relationships because students given their own opportunities to lead the educational process.  The remainder of the year for me is a the third trimester, which begins on Monday. It can sometimes feel like a vast expanse between now and the end of the school year.  I will sustain community first by being fully prepared for each lesson. I am teaching classes that I have taught before, so that should fairly manageable to do.  I will also make an effort to connect with a different student, in some manner, each day. I will attempt to connect with a different student each day so that I don't unintentionally play favorites.  I will use this same plan in the fall to create connections with new students.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree with you more when you said students are more willing to follow you down the education path, if they feel a part of it! It is also a great tool for motivation as well!

    ReplyDelete